The wooden strip running horizontally between two drawers is called a traverse.

In order to create as undisturbed a look as possible with veneer work on the furniture front, the drawers are sometimes made so that the traverses are no longer visible.
This construction method for antique furniture is called - from the French - sans traverse.

In the photo you can see an antique cylinder bureau, the front of which is made without a traverse in the lower part. Inside, you can see the traverses horizontally between the drawers.

Also interesting

Rolleau Verschluss

A Rolleau shutter is a shutter composed of individual strips that is flexible and can thus be opened around a corner [...]
Read more


The term "baroque" derives from the French "baroque" and literally means as much as crooked, irregular and strange, [...]
Read more


In furniture construction, we understand a gallery to be an openwork decorative railing made of wood or metal that [...]
Read more