We use the term "fluting" to describe vertical structures with parallel grooves or furrows. Originally from architecture, we find fluting on antique furniture mostly on column and pillar shafts or on furniture legs.

Fluting - also known as fluting - is a typical stylistic feature of classicism.

Also interesting

Directoire and Consulate

The Directoire (1795-1799) and the Consulate (1799-1804) are the first furniture styles to emerge after the French [...]
Read more


Bastion fillings are the cranked filling fields that we usually find on cabinet doors or slanted flaps of antique [...]
Read more


By the term bandelwerk we understand narrow and symmetrically curved bands inlaid in marquetry technique. [...]
Read more